9.21.2007

A little language lesson

Q: What tyrannical trait do my father and favorite public relations professor have in common?

A: The ability to (often unknowingly) make one feel fleaish while correcting language limitations (read: flaws).

It is not an altogether undesirable trait, and it certainly keeps you on your linguistic toes while discussing communications strategies...and taking out the trash. I even like to believe a bit of the Syntax Gestapo gene has been passed on to me. I can quickly recognize error in speech, whether or not I can correct it.

Unlike my corrective counterparts - I am not very concerned with the poor grammar that grips our country like a unquenchable flame. I am more worried about the people who don't sound cool when they talk.

As I (hopefully) enter the world of mass communications, I am prepared to take on the challenge of speech alteration for the better of bored listeners around the globe (at least where English is spoken, I can't do much for the other guys). Part of this process is eradicating the "business bro" terminology. So, here is my statement:

As a future communications leader of the world (yep, the world) I hereby dedicate myself to the removal of the following language from my vocabulary and the vocabulary of those within my sphere of influence.

1. Drop me a line.
(This means get in contact with me)

2. Give me a holler.
(This is normally used for the phone)

3. (and this is the worst) Shoot me an email.

In addition to said terminology, I will refrain from any phrasing I deem unfavorable in the future.



Any others?

***these were submitted by a new friend via email***

1. You're good to go
2. ..take it to the next level
3. my bad
4. BFF
5. snail mail (which is a derogatory comment about our nation's postal service)
6. anything with "a-cino" at the end.

7 comments:

Jillian said...

I have nothing to add. I would simply like to share in your disdain for "shoot me an email." I hate it. Several jobs ago, my boss used it frequently.

alice-anne said...

can't think of any, but if i do, i'll definitely give you a holler or shoot you an email.

Unknown said...

please remove the horrid phrase "what can i do you for?", as well.

jshock said...

Actually, I believe the correct vernacular is holler.

Ian said...

I think the phrase "git-r-done" should probably be banned from The Republic.

In Cliff's defence, Fabolous' song is titled "Holla Back," not "Holler Back."

J. Cliff said...

well, i really wanted to use "holla," but the correction is duly noted.

Krista said...

It drives me crazy when people ask, "Do what?" ...especially when speaking to people who are not fluent in English.