9.10.2007

A good night's sleep

For the past several nights I have had several things to impede my sleeping habits. My mind keeps waking me up in the outrageously early morning hours, and not allowing me to sleep peacefully for several more hours.

Saturday night/Sunday morning I woke up (4:53) to discover a complete inability to process thoughts in a logical manner. Random names, silly words and extreme aspects of facial features (big noses, random warts, overhanging brows) kept jumping into my brain with no warning - and certainly no explanation. I contemplated David/squishy/flat nose for quite a while. Finally I resorted to telling myself a story - forcing myself to think sequentially.

This morning it was all about organization. I made some very solid personal statements correlating my emotional wellbeing with the organization of my surroundings...and the organization of my surroundings with the amount of things I own. This in itself is not completely insane - but then I started listing the things I owned, and trying to figure out how to get rid of them.

It started at the front door, I owned the front door and it had to stay. Then the shoe pile next to the front door, I had to keep the shoes - but the pile had to go. Things got very confusing when I was self-explaining how I partially own my roommates - after all, I have time and energy invested in them. I knew practically they both needed to stay (if for no other reason than economy), but I also know it is wrong to own another person. As I lulled myself back to sleep I was determined to stop spending time with my friends, it was the right thing to do.

Aside from a stellar duet with Pavarotti (RIP) the rest of my slumber was uneventful.

This is a sure sign that I need something to occupy my mind.

3 comments:

alice-anne said...

this is probably one of the most entertaining things i have read in a very long time...especially because i know it's completely true.

i have a solution for you:

come visit reagan and me in oxford.

Ian said...

Don't you dare go back to the South! It'll eat your soul. Especially Mississippi. The only only only good thing to come from Oxford was Faulkner, and certainly the author not the college.

Sherrill said...

i love you much...be sure to text while i'm gone!