9.17.2007

Fasting, in the name of employment

Just one block from my loft is a quaint, yet classy pedestrian walkway jam-packed with restaurants, salons, boutiques and my new favorite video store (coincidentally, the video store guy and I are becoming quite the pals; I have named him Kevin).

To me, there are two real stand-outs in the Liberties Walk (you know you are in Philadelphia when...): The video store, a super-hip collection of "The"+1-word titles (The Crush, The Paper, The Lover, The Cannon) and films picked solely for their obscurity (I won't try and mention any of these, because I have never heard of any of them). The other is the candy shop(pe). Yes, an honest to goodness candy store with everything from ice cream and rock candy to truffles and chili-pepper chocolate.

One thing people should know about me, I love candy. I am a sucker (npi) for sweets. Cookies, brownies, cakes, ice cream, hard candy, chewy delights, simple sugars, pies, hydrogenated fats, over-processed glucose of many kinds...I love it. It is truly my weakness.

As a display of dedication to the job hunt, I am refraining from entering the store until I have found permanent employment. It may be the hardest thing I have ever done...and I did a 3-day solo trek in the mountains of Utah carrying nothing but a knife and an empty saucepan.





*I also have a bottle of 1999 Veremonte Cab Sav that I am not opening until I get a job - but after typing this I really just want candy...

7 comments:

mundiejc said...

I found your blog the other day, and am enjoying it Cliff.

so you're in philly now? how's that going for you?

BW said...

And in support of you, I promise that I will not enter that candy shop(pe) either until you are employed.

marlea said...

I believe in YOU!!!

marlea said...

I believe in YOU!!!!!

alice-anne said...

I might have to sneak in there before you get a job. It just sounds so intriguing. I'll bring you something back, though.

Ian said...

Alice-Anne's a jerk. I won't go in there unless I'm with you!

BW said...

I saw you on TV. You are now famous. Can I have your autograph?