2.12.2008

So, so, so cold

**This post is not suitable for any reader who might think I am still 12**

I love words. I honestly do. I am not a "word person" per say. I am not good at Scrabble, and crossword puzzles make me feel like an incompetent idiot. However, hearing and occasionally using great words can certainly ameliorate my affect. Words are elegant, they are recherché. An extensive vocabulary is not only impressive, it is worthy of envy.

The English language, for the most part, is capable of conveying an endless supply of feelings, meanings, ideas, actions, items...etc. The vast array of words provided are completely malleable and a bit ductile, more gaseous than solid - they can be manipulated to my whimsy and incorporated at my will.

Which brings me to this morning.

This morning when I left for the gym (545) it was 11 degrees Fahrenheit. I was wearing a t-shirt under a sweatshirt under a hoodie under a hooded overcoat. My face and neck were wrapped in a scarf. Under my pants I wore sweatpants and a pair of shorts. My feet and hands were appropriately encased in fabric.

A whole world of words at my disposal, but all I could say was, "Damn, it is cold. It is damn cold."

Ah. English.

5 comments:

Ian said...

So of all the glorious words present in the English language, you have to borrow one directly from French (complete with accent aigu), a language with comparatively few words? Granted, most of our vocabulary comes from French but that's a moo point (Friends reference), right?

Tammie's Thoughts said...

You must have really wanted to work out to go to the gym when it was so cold! I have a gym membership, but I've finally come to realize that I have to go in order for it to do me any good...just paying my money won't do any thing for my body!

alice-anne said...

oh good. you updated. i was about to go against my own principles and demand an update. thanks for saving me.

Linz said...

I don't even use words when it's freezing. I just scream. It's equally effective.

Tha Troof said...

I have found that the physical state of our bodies, in your case adversely influenced by the weather, can drastically and directly affect vocabulary.