1.23.2008

Rime time

I would like to add to my list of sayings I abhor, "I'm a poet, and don't even know it." (Or any variation of.)

Sure it was clever in elementary school, but "up your nose with a rubber hose" was also a popular saying at one point and we got through that.

The biggest problem with the 'poet'/'know it' rhyme is the person who typically uses it is quite far from any form of a poet. Dr. Seuss is lost on these people yet they, along with Will Ferrell and the Bros, think it is hilarious to rhyme two bisyllabic words.

I am by no means a connoisseur of poetry, I wouldn't even consider myself a fan. However, I am intellectually capable of independent thought (e.g. I'm a bard, and it's not hard).

It is particularly important to end this silly rhyme as we head in to the new year. I foresee a year packed with "clever" sayings: "Don't Wait in '08," "It's Not Too Late in 2008," etc.

1 comment:

Tammie's Thoughts said...

Wish I could think of a clever "rime" to put on here, but, alas, but brain is taking a time out and can be found no where!