2.29.2008

My favorite days

September 24:

This day is a stand out for me. A day like no other. For many years I held "September 24" parties. Nothing special happened on this day, as far as I know. It is not my birthday (or my half birthday). I would imagine my love comes from the aesthetic appeal of the word "September" and my fondness for the number 24. Separately they are good things - together, they constitute my favorite day.

I am thoroughly jealous of anyone who has this birthday, and will likely force it to be an important day in my life somehow. (ie, demanding it as a wedding date, holding labor until this day, not pulling the plug on my dad until this day)

February 19:

This one is a bit more obvious. It is my birthday. As I have gone through life, many of the coolest people I have met have February birthdays - so I feel cosmically privileged to be predetermined for this group.

As a result of this special assignment, I have also become a bit obsessed with the number 19 (some might recall my 19th birthday party).

February 29:

This is a truly blessed day...or a completely screwed up concept - however you wish to look at it. The fact that someone along the way said "Hey, instead of making every day longer," or "Let's alter the calendar a bit" said "Every 4 years we will add a day!" is astounding to me. Even more mind-blowing is that others agreed ("Oh yes, brilliant idea!" "Here, Here!").

However, they gave the day to poor, short, slightly self-conscious February - and for that, we are thankful.

4 comments:

BW said...

I do remember that 19th celebration. Orange and fun!

alice-anne said...

uh...i really like April 27th for it's aesthetic value. And also because the ditz on Miss Congeniality said it was her idea of the perfect date. Brilliant.

Unknown said...

are you autistic?

Tammie's Thoughts said...

Friday, February 29, 2008 will be a special day that is forever burned into my memory. It is the day that my dear sweet mama went home to be with the Lord. It was a blessing but no matter how sick one is, when they take that last breath, you're not ready for them to go...one other good thing about her death being on this day is that we only have to remember it every 4 years thanks to whoever it was who made up the calendar...so this leap year thing can have it's advantages!