10.28.2007

When the bough breaks

I am pretty open about not being madly in love with my job. I do like the people I work with, and feel at least competent when it comes to my tasks - but it is not exactly what I thought I would be doing with my life at this point.

However.

I have found over the past two weeks there is something that happens to "working folk" that does not exist with the rest of the population. It is a sensation I was teased with during my years of classes and internships - but never fully appreciated even through my work as a Temp.

Affectionately and colloquially I believe it is referred to as "quittin' time."

After a long day of work, no matter how strenuous or simple, I start watching for the big hand to get back to the 12 for the 8th time. The routine of checking my email for the final time, shutting down my computer, organizing my to-do list for the next day, emptying my water bottle, packing my bag and heading out the door is a process glorious enough to outweigh any lack-of-interest in my work.

In short, going home makes it worth getting up.

5 comments:

Ian said...

Instead of watching Halloween movies, I think we should eat far too much candy and enjoy the sugar rush by boxing. I'm sure Den won't mind bringing boxing gloves, right? It'll be a GOP.

the great kali-llama said...

I think what can make a dull day even better is finding time to do non-work. If I ever had the opportunity to paint my nails, read a book and catch up on my shopping at work- it would be the best day of my life.

Nancy said...

Just wait until you experience "quittin time" on a Friday before a 3-day weekend! It is the best!!

P.S. I hear you are making a trip back to HU for the weekend! Have fun!!

Jillian said...

It's a feeling like no other.

And don't worry - according to the JDH job plan, you should be completely happy in just 2 jobs from now, which will luckily only take a year.

Krystle said...

i couldn't agree with you more.

check my e-mail. shut down my computer. rinse out my mug. say goodnight to only those who have offices closest to the exit. make a mad dash towards the my hoping that no one pages me over the intercom before i make it.

glorious freedom.
it's the best part...