10.12.2007

Just another day

Today begins the last weekend I am allowed to take for granted. Though I have, for the past two weeks, been temping at a clever little non-profit...the job is so menial I feel like I am expending more energy watching a fast-paced episode of Ally Mcbeal (which I have been doing a lot lately).

There has been a major plus to my temporary employment. Everyday I walk to my EL stop and hop on the Blue Line to go downtown. I typically get off at 11th street and walk the block to 1234 Market Street - the SEPTA building (South Eastern Pennsylvania Transit Authority) - then I stroll onto the express elevator (floors 12-20). I greet Falicia at the front desk and start working...

I like to get off at 11th Street so I can, on my way to work, pass some of the more amusing parts of the city.

1. The older (presumably) homeless man who has a karaoke machine hooked up to his electric wheelchair. He sits in front of the Market East Station and sings some classic tunes. So far I have heard everything from Christina Aguilera to Journey being belted by this not-so-bad man of the streets. I try to give him some cash when I have it...this sometimes proves a bit...disconcerting, however. You see, whereas most people put out a guitar case or Dunkin Donuts cup for spare change - the Karaoke Cavalier uses his prosthetic leg as a cash receptacle.

2. The road-side food carts. You know, hot dogs, hamburgers...I saw a shrimp-cocktail stand yesterday and walked across the street to avoid it. I opted instead for a beef kielbasa...mostly because it rhymes with che pasa. I am looking forward to the day when I go to order and they say: "Heeey man! Che pasa?" and I respond simply "Kielbasa."

3. As you get off the subway and turn the corner onto market, there is a stunning view of City Hall (the largest masoned building in the U.S.A.) That's enough about that.

4. Probably my favorite part of the trip to and from 1234 Market Street is my return home. I take the elevator back down to the lobby, then the escalator down to the below-the-lobby...walk out the door and through the turn-stile to 13th Street station. That's right, from office to subway, without ever going outside!

So, for now, I will completely blow off my weekend as if it was just another day.

3 comments:

Ian said...

Well, in my commute I daily get to see what is generally regarded as the handsomest public building in the entire Eastern United States.l

Unknown said...

I laughed really hard about the keilbasa. I really hope that happens.

Tammie's Thoughts said...

Is it really cold up there yet? Had snow? Wonder if the stroll will become a fast walk then?