8.28.2007

A life long journey


Who could have guessed all those years of curfew in college would have prepared me for life in the big city:

Here in CBL the subway/EL is my primary mode of transportation. It is quick, easy, inexpensive - and far less stressful than driving in COWSL (City of One-Way Street Love). Unfortunately, the trains stop running at/around midnight. The SEPTA buses still run-on through the night - but seriously, who takes buses anymore?

Last night, after a lovely night out, I realized it was far too late to catch the subway. My options were either a cab, or a bus.

And then I started thinking.

I often tell people that my apartment really isn't that far from downtown - perhaps I was right. To prove it to myself, and get an accurate time/distance, I decided to walk home.

3.1 miles and oh-so-many blocks later, I was home.

My intention was never to economize, but when I returned home I was terribly impressed with myself for the money I had saved on a cab...all the trip had cost was 45 minutes of my time, a little peace-of-mind and the six dollars and fifty cents I gave out to homeless people along the way.

2 comments:

Tammie's Thoughts said...

Where in Philly do you live? I spent three weeks there a couple of summers ago doing an internship at the Philadelphia Child and Family Institute. I loved being in that city. Neat museums, etc.

alice-anne said...

i love your blog. plain and simple.