9.12.2008

More words

Just a small FYI. I am simply sick of having to think when I type. I am constantly caught in error concerning "a lot" and "no one."

"A lot," I am going to let go of. I am pretty good at just avoiding the phrase all together, there are much better words that can replace it.

However, "no one" is up for a remodel. When writing, I have allowed myself to combine the words, noone, but in speaking this leads to confusion. Fortunately, I have friends who find themselves in the same proverbial (or adverbial) boat. It was recently suggested to me that a slight modification could turn the silly sounding mistake, to a usefully unique word: "nooner."

I have posted this so that in any future posts it will be clear what I am referring to should I discuss, "nooner showing up for the free sai lessons," or, "my intelligence seemed to be surpassed by nooner."

I appreciate your consideration, and do not discourage your implementation.

4 comments:

Luke U. said...

I find myself constantly having trouble with alot or a lot...which was it? I also find myself struggling with abbreviations as well. Is it add't or add'l or add'tl?

Tammie's Thoughts said...

Your posts make me laugh almost every time! Thanks!

Jillian said...

I never have problems with either of these words.

alice-anne said...

i actually heard the word "nooner" in conversation the other day (actually it was on TV) and the reason I'm sure is because the subtitles were on (I live with grandparents) and i had no idea what it meant. thought you should know.