12.04.2007

And that was just on my break

Every day, after my first round of work, I take a break. I go to the restroom to fix my cowlick (that pops up once my hair has completely dried), refill my water bottle and head downstairs to get a muffin from the little store in our lobby. It is a pretty quick break – all things considered.

Apparently my subconscious thinks the break should be lengthened.

Once it has arrive at ground floor, the elevators lay at rest with doors open until a passenger boards and punches a button. So, post muffin purchase, I walked into the elevator…

A good 4 to 5 minutes later a radio-bro (those are the shmucks on the 10th floor) got on the elevator, looked at me quizzically and asked what floor I was headed to. Not only was I absent-mindedly standing on the elevator with the doors wide open, I hadn’t even selected a floor to try to go to. Make it worse? I almost missed getting off on 7. He said “Isn’t this your floor?” as the doors were re-closing, and caught the doors with his newspaper. I gave him the finger and said, “Mind your own dang business.” … Ok, not really. I sheepishly grinned and gave that throaty groan where your lips barely part and it can mean either “thanks” or it is an acceptable response to “how are you?” – and then slipped out of the elevator.


I might start taking the stairs, to avoid ever seeing him again – but those things get really repetitive.

2 comments:

alice-anne said...

our brains must be related. today i had to explain this long drawn out process on the phone to three different people at my pharmacy, and when i finally showed up at said pharmacy to pick up my prescription, i tried once more to explain my situation to the lady behind the register, only all the details came out in the wrong order and the lady turned her head to the side and just stared at me. there was no recovering from this.

Ian said...

I did that on my first day at FMFCU, so I know how you feel. Luckily, the doors of the elevator actually shut so the person didn't know that I'd been standing there absentmindedly for a few minutes. I feel your pain friend.